Friday, December 28, 2012

Read any good books lately?

A few days before Valentine's Day this year I found this note on my microwave

Hot Hot Hot Danger Danger!
I thought it was just something like Hostess Orange Cupcakes inside. But no, it was this:


oooooooooh! Danger Danger is right. I used to go to the library and check out two books every two weeks, one trash and one literature (or semi literature at least). Now I have a virtual library at my fingertips.

I have actually been pretty good and not spent much money on books, but I admit to downloadig a bunch of freebies from Pixel of Ink, Book Basset and Project Gutenberg. Plus my mom and I have a linked account which means whenever either of us buys or downloads something the other one has access to it. This means I won't be downloading Fifty Shades - can't let my mom know I'd read THAT. Or maybe she has to be careful not to order it so I don't know she would read something like that, ha ha.

I have read a lot of classic (or will be classic someday) books these past 10 months:
Little Women
Treasure Island
Emma
Northanger Abbey
Gulliver's Travels
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
The Help
The Pillars of the Earth

And a bunch of fun sometimes mindless freebies, mostly historical romance or mystery romance genres. Plus I still check out books from the library until I exhaust their supply of Johanna Lindsey (mostly the Malory series), Stephanie Plum series and Nero Wolfe novels.

I just started reading Earth Abides by George R Stewart, which was highly recommended by my brother who told me our dad took a class from Stewart when he was at Cal.

So, are you reading anything interesting? Any resolutions to read more in the New Year? I am always looking for new ideas.

4 comments:

  1. I finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn last month. I LOVE her stuff. I love it so much that I purposely drag out reading it because I don't want it to end!

    I have a really short attention span. So if I'm not into a book right away, I'm done. Tried to read The Shack and Incendiary. Both sit unfinished on my desk.

    I'm vowing to read more in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to give books a good chance, but with the limited time I have these days I have started bailing on books more if it isn't doing it for me. One of the advantages to reading for pleasure versus reading for a grade. I might have stuck out For Whom the Bell Tolls a bit longer, but it was just too grim and showed no signs of getting better.

    I think one of my SIL's mentioned Gillian Flynn, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep a watch on Amazon, they often have bargin books and free books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Barbara Kingsolver and just put her new book, "Flight Behavior," on my Nook. I can highly recommend "The Poisonwood Bible," which I read in two days. I also love, love, love Anne Tyler. I'm going to have to get "Gone Girl," as I've seen so many excellent reviews of it.

    ReplyDelete